Thursday, May 14, 2015

No Fear.



Last week I accomplished a big goal of mine by going surfing for the very first time. It's something that I've wanted to try for a long time but really just never put as a priority... It seems like every time I always found an excuse to not do it. I'm not sure if it was solely out of fear or that combined with the water always being just too damn cold! Ha! Either way, I am a perfectionist and I don't like to do things and suck at them ... Plain and simple. I beat myself down before I even try a lot of the time to the point where I almost set myself up for failure. My mental game is my biggest weakness and this is obviously something i am CONSTANTLY working on. It's safe to say it's for sure the main reason why I would pass on conquering my goal to learn to surf every opportunity I got to. 

The night before we went out, I found myself worried that I wasn't going to be able to get up on the board. That I was going to waste my money by sucking so bad I couldn't do it, all the  while forfeiting our last morning to sleep in past 7am on vacation and spend time at our beautiful resort in Cabo. 

When I went to bed I said my normal nighttime prayers and prayed to have no fear the next day during my lessons. I prayed to be able to just trust and have fun. Not worry about how good or bad I was doing and just have fun learning something brand new and out of my comfort zone with absolutely no fear! I promised myself also that I wouldn't let my mind hold me back, something I do a lot with CrossFit. 

Well, my prayers were answered and I kept my promise to myself! I was able to get up on my first try and never had a failed attempt. 4 solid hours of surfing might I add! So exhausting and so fun!! 

It's amazing how the smallest victories and goals we make in life can take you to a whole new level mentally. I can honestly say that spending time in the ocean and catching waves has brought a whole new light to a strong positive mindset with myself. I look forward to channeling my new found trust and no fear mentality as I work my way back in the game of the sport I love so much #crossfit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment