Thursday, April 30, 2015

Wait. All My Fruits & Veggies Don't have to be Organic?


I have always tried to stay in the know when it comes to nutrition. Landon and I always reach for organic when we grocery shop. It's just a natural thing for us as we do try to keep our bodies clean from as many negative food additives and pesticides as possible. That being said, I never knew there was a method to the madness of the organic fruit and veggie market. To be honest, I am pretty embarrassed to admit I didn't know about what is referred to as the  "Clean 15" and "Dirty Dozen".  

These days there are definitely buzz of words when it comes to the way food is marketed.  Gluten free veggie chips filled with non GMO corn, Organic lolly pops, and gluten free cookies are being sold as healthy foods. This is a bunch of BS. More than ever it’s important to remember that fruits and vegetables will be healthier than an organic and/or gluten free version of a processed food item. But that doesn't mean you have to break the bank at Whole Foods with buying a massive amount of only organic fruits and veggies when you prep for your weekly regimen of food. 

I don't know about you, but I definitely don't have a money tree growing in my backyard and have I mentioned my husband consumes enough food to support a small army on a weekly basis. Yes yes.... we all should buy organic, but guess what, we live in the real world and let's be real here that $hit is EXPENSIVE!!! Not to mention our schedule is straight kray! So farmers markets are done and closed by the time we could them up. So what do you do? How can one eat "clean" without taking out a second mortgage?  Here's how, via the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen: 



If I can save some hard earned dough here and there and still reap the benefits of being properly fueled by food then I am IN for the WIN!!! If you are like me and can't remember these when shopping, think of it like this:  

Anything thin skinned, buy organic.  Like apples and strawberries.  Anything thick skinned can be conventional, like avocados! Try to stick to your go to "fave" options and make a habit of knowing which make sense for your weekly budget. This will help you keep that good ole' body of yours performing the way it was designed to perform!  


No comments:

Post a Comment